Miss Jones has been investigating!!
A survey has revealed the most popular lies told by both men and women when signing up for online dating.
Could you find love on Facebook or Twitter rather than an online dating website?
Alongside the launch of the brand new series of MTV’s show Catfish, filled with not-so-happy-ever-after tales of online dating nightmares, a survey has revealed that a whopping 58% of online daters have lied about themselves to impress potential love interests.
The results showed that of the 58% who confessed to telling fibs to bag themselves a date, 64% of those were blokes, with the most popular lie being with regards to their job, including their salary, position and job description.
So maybe have a think about whether you’d still want to grab a drink with that CEO if he was a bin man.
The next most popular lie told by men was to do with their age, rather shockingly followed by their marital status! Some guys confessed to hiding the fact they were already in a relationship, and some did not admit that they were divorced from a previous marriage.
14% of the men who admitted to lying had even failed to tell the truth about their kids, often deciding to not admit that they had any children at all.
These things should come with a lie detector test hooked up to your inbox.
The top 5 lies men tell when it comes to online dating are:
1. Employment (e.g. status, job description, responsibilities, salary) - (48%)
2. Age (e.g. stating a younger age, using a misleading image from years before)– (41%)
3. Marital status (e.g. being in a relationship already/hiding divorced)- (27%)
4. Hobbies and Interests (e.g. making themselves seem more interesting)-(23%)
5. Kids (e.g. disclosing if they have children, how many)-(14%)
The top 5 lies women tell when it comes to online dating are:
1. Age (e.g. stating a younger age, using a misleading image from years before)– (52%)
2. Looks (description of body type, weight, dress size etc) - (44%)
3. Hobbies and Interests (making themselves seen more interesting)-(27%)
4. Employment (e.g. status, job description, responsibilities, salary)-(17%)
5. Smoking - (13%)
What do you make of these results? Have you ever lied whilst online dating?