Friday 18 March 2011

Miss Jones in New York.....

Apologies for the radio silence but after the craziness that has been this year I slipped away to New York for a few days of theatre, shopping, dinners and cocktails….

It was an extremely decadent stay at The Pierre www.tajhotels.com on Fifth Avenue, I felt like the princess from The Princess and the Pea sleeping in the most enormous, comfortable bed in the world. I could see the ice rink in Central Park from my window; had a huge closet to put all my pretty shopping bags in and enough Molton Brown toiletries to fill my case with when I returned home.

I click-clacked my Sergio Rossi heels down Broadway to see previews of Catch Me If You Can and How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (Harry Potter fans out in full force by the way, I had to practically beat my way through the crowds with my Nars Pillow Talk lip gloss). I lunched at the divine River Café in Brooklyn www.rivercafe.com that has the most amazing views of Manhattan from its home under the Brooklyn Bridge (most inventive dessert ‘Chocolate Marquise Brooklyn Bridge, once seen it created a ripple effect through the restaurant and practically every table had one).

Gorgeous walks in Central Park courtesy of the great spring weather; cocktails at The Pierre (I personally recommend the Pierre-Tini); burgers at EJ’s Luncheonette on the Upper East Side with a vanilla egg cream (of course) a fantastic 50’s style diner complete with leather booths. I also had a room picnic one night with pretzel’s from a street vendor, The Pierre room service pizza and some delicious Laurent Perrier Rose, yes the room service server raised an eyebrow when I told him I wanted it on the floor but shrugged it off when he heard the accent, possibly thought all of us Brits eat like that!

I whisked through the stores in SoHo, Greenwich Village, Upper West and Upper East side with the force of a whirlwind, although I did stop in my tracks when a café I was in for lunch got surrounded by four fire trucks, hyperventilating as I thought it was a dream come true, however after a quick recce they went on their way as quickly as they arrived leaving me breathless with excitement and a cold grilled cheese, serves me right for staring so long….

When I realized I could squeeze nothing else into my luggage (without wearing half of it on the flight to make more space) and the rain had started to fall I knew it was time to head home, so with a heavy heart (and the new issue of InStyle – every cloud….!) I returned to London, straight back to filing and fanmail… as if I’d never been away…

Have a great weekend

Love

Miss Jones x

No comments: